About Me

Hi my name is Kaarle McCulloch and I am a track cyclist. I have started this blog so that family and friends can keep up to date with my travels around the world in my quest to become the best athlete that I can be.

Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Namaste!

Hi all,

To say that the past few hours or so has been an eye opener is quite an understatement. Whilst in many cases the trip here and the standards that we have been subjected to thus far have super seeded that which has been shown in the media it is still by Australian standards quite low.

In all honesty the buildings are not quite finished - but when I say not finished I am talking the finer details like some lawns and painting. Whilst most buildings are finished there are still hundreds of workers around the village doing things to get the village up to a livable state.

Not a bad building at all! Each floor has 4, 4 bedroom apartments each with 4 bathrooms, a kitchen and laundry. Pretty good really!

Our apartment houses the whole female track cycling team with twin share rooms and each room has its own bathroom. We have a decent size living room and kitchen as well. The apartments are quite a strange set up and I am told that when the games are over probably 4 different families will occupy this one apartment that we are using when in fact if we were back home in Australia I would be horrified by that thought and think that the apartment is a good size for just one family. It goes to show the differences between our cultures and living standards.

Contrary to what the media has been portraying the security here by far exceeded my expectations with checks as you get on and off buses and armoured guards everywhere, including a special lane for the Commonwealth Games buses that I kid you not has armoured gaurds every 50m or so. The man power is insanely huge.

Our trip from Europe to Delhi was reasonably comfortable – but a flight is a flight. Upon arrival in Delhi we were already getting the special treatment with a special immigration and customs section as well as food and beverages waiting for us. Once we got all of our luggage we were sent outside to the buses where Anna Meares was bombarded by the media.

Anna being bombarded by the media.

Again...our luggage is pretty massive for 8 people!

Dan looks pretty happy to be in another airport! Left to right: Anna Meares, Scott Sunderland and Daniel Ellis.

Finally in Delhi! : ) Very happy!

Our tracksuit is pretty inconspicuous!

The bus trip was a little long and tedious with the police vehicle having its siren on the whole time and the lots of twists and turns to miss the traffic that accommodates for 20million people in the one city – almost the entirety of the Australian population lives in New Delhi. We saw slums and stray dogs but on the other hand we saw beautiful temples and the people are more than welcoming, they are lovely and really want us all to have a great time and experience.

A view from our bus on the way to the village - the roads are in chaos because the commonwealth Games have its own lane...20million people are in gridlock - its good for us not so good for them!

The main stadium - its a pity I wont get to see it properly as I wont be doing the opening or closing ceremony.

Upon arrival in the village we showered and got to open our goodies bag which included all of our team kit and formal wear. I was like a little kid at Christmas and I am sure my mum is going to get some good wear out of some of the stuff once the games are over and done with! We were also briefed by the head honcho of the Commonwealth Games Association as well as some other very important people of which I cant say too much about but the briefing made us all feel safer and more secure.

The atmosphere in the village is already quite intense and only a quarter of the athletes are here. The dining hall is amazing and I have to concentrate on eating my food and not looking at everyone from all the different countries. Today I had lunch with some of the young Gymnasts from Australia who were lovely and who compete on the same days as I do. I am very taken with the Scottish men to! Ha-ha I don’t mind the accent at all and Anna tells me I should wait and see them in their Kilts! : )

These fridges are everywhere in the village and all drinks are free! Its like being a little kid in a candy shop! : )

But all that said and done I am first and foremost here to do one thing – ride my bike fast. We get on the track tomorrow afternoon which is exciting and I cant wait to see what the track is like. The weather is hot so I expect the track to be nice and fast. I also cant wait to test out our new riding kit – which is very yellow! It will look good on the bike. Until tomorrow everyone : )


Karls

No comments:

Post a Comment