About Me

Hi my name is Kaarle McCulloch and I am a track cyclist. I have started this blog so that family and friends can keep up to date with my travels around the world in my quest to become the best athlete that I can be.

Friday, August 27, 2010

Warm weather and high spirits

Hi all,

Our first week on camp has been great with lovely weather and high spirits. Our first week here has been great with plenty of road rides out in the sun...my skin which has not seen sun for about 5months got a bit of a shock and rather than be blinded by my own whiteness now I am slightly tanned (I say slightly because I don't tan!).

Out on the road in the sunshine : )

The full team gearing up for a ride: (left to right) Emily Rosemond, Daniel Ellis, Me, Scott Sunderland, Anna Meares, Peter Lewis and Alex bird)

On a training camp we usually have a fair amount of time to spend in between sessions. So we have to find ways to keep ourselves entertained...

The boys (Scott Sunderland left, Peter Lewis right) playing 'mini ping-pong'

Scott Sunderland and Daniel Ellis attempting to walk up the stairs without bending their knees...as you can tell, we get bored - I too attempted this, unsuccessfully!

Once a week we are treated to a night out for tea with all the team including the support staff - with whom without we couldn't possibly do what we do. I was lucky enough on this occasion to sit next to our 'swanny' Berthy May on this night. Berthy is our second mum when we are away and she does a great job...undoubtedly the best swanny in the world!
Berthy and I

Training thus far for me has been going very well, and as a group great as well. We are all really thriving on the idea that in 39days most of us get to don the green and gold and roll out onto the track in Delhi. The team was officially announced just last week and I am proud to say that 6 NSW people are in the team and 3 of those are from my club St. George CC. Check out the link:

http://www.cycling.org.au/?Page=38903

The NSW riders are:

Ashlee Ankudinoff (Track Endurance) St George
Megan Dunn (Track Endurance)
Christopher Sutton (Mens Road) St George
Mark Renshaw (Mens Road)
Rochelle Gilmore (Womens Road)
Myself (Track Sprint) St George

Congratulations to the 27 people named in the team and good luck! : )

We were unfortunate for one of the days to be struck with some bad weather, and so we were forced to sit on the rollers as a substitute! I was kind of hoping I wouldn't have to get on these for any extended amount of time until the games!

You can tell I look rather happy! Worst thing was that I was busting to go the toilet and the door to the toilets was locked...its not nice riding with a full bladder!

We have been lucky this trip to go do some sightseeing. Its very rare on any trip away that we get to see much more than the airport, velodrome and hotel. So it was nice to pass the time looking at some wonders of the world...rather than trying to climb stairs without bending our knees! ha-ha!
The team enjoying a day out and and afternoon off the bike! : )

As some people might know I am a huge fan of quotes. There is nothing better than when you are feeling down or need a bit of reassurance to read a quote that means something to you or uplifts you. The quote in the photo I think sums me up in one. I often cop quite a lot of stick from people about 'not being normal'...well I am normal, just uncommon. I like to think that being different and sticking up for what you believe in is worth a lot than being someone who just follows the norm - and it is why I will be the best in the world at what I do, and already so far am thanks to a great team mate in Anna Meares and an unrelenting persistence and dedication on my behalf.
So far in the trip I have taken over 500 photos and I would like to put them all up but some unfortunately are not that great! Below are a few of the photos I have taken with various team members...more to come at a later stage.

Alex Bird and I on the way to gym

Scotty Sunderland and I getting ready to tear up the road

That's all from me this time around. I hope you all enjoyed. Take care all...

39 days and counting...

Karls : )

No comments:

Post a Comment