About Me

Hi my name is Kaarle McCulloch and I am a track cyclist. I have started this blog so that family and friends can keep up to date with my travels around the world in my quest to become the best athlete that I can be.

Monday, August 2, 2010

2010 Copenhagen World Championships Photos cont...

Hi all,


Here are my favourite photos from the last day of competition. I have just used the photos from the final as I cant remember which races are what other than the final. I did it the hard way on this day having to go through the reps, but it worked in my favour. It wasnt until the final that I had worked out all of the crap in my legs after my cramping on the 3rd day. In the first round of the Keirin I actually still felt like I was going to cramp and I remember sitting on the rollers warming up thinking oh my god, I cant do this. Well I made the final and finished 4th - so not a bad effort considering! It was one of those days where I learnt I a lot about myself and my ability to keep fighting to the end - and I certainly did that in the final almost crashing and missing out on 3rd place by a photo finish - I was so desperate for a medal!
Keirin


This is the repecharge coming out of the final bend into the home straight. I had to finish in the top two to go through and I came three wide and made it through. It was a massive relief and I was angry because I had had such a poor first round. This race hurt the most but it was the race that made my legs feel better afterwards believe it or not!
Last race of the last day. I think I was also one of the last riders riding for Australia. I am 5th wheel and I knew that if I had any chance of winning I needed to be alot closer to the front, soooo.......around I come as the derny swings off. I felt really comfortable here, very in control and I knew I had set myself up for a good chance......just covering myself and waiting for the next attack. I knew that I wasnt quite strong enough physiologically to win it from the front so my tactics were to wait for one to the two big guns to get to the front and then protect their wheel...
...just as I had hoped Simona made an attack around the outside and I was sitting pretty...
...bell lap and I am sitting very nicely. Only problem is that I got a little impatient at this stage as Victoria Pendleton was boxing me in and I should have just relaxed and waited a little longer before trying to come out......uh-oh last lap...one the inside - wrong choice! Start back pedalling! ....


All's I am thinking right now is 'SHIT'! Dont crash, dont crash! I came soooooo very close and I still cant believe I didnt come down! I thought Simona was going to be relegated because she came out of the sprinters lane, hence why I went underneath rather than over the top. If I had of gone over there is no doubt in my mind I would have medalled if not won. Winners were Simona Krupeckaite from Lithunia, Victoria Pendleton from Great Briton and Olga Panarina from Belarus.
Hope you enjoy...Karls : )

No comments:

Post a Comment