About Me

Hi my name is Kaarle McCulloch and I am a track cyclist. I have started this blog so that family and friends can keep up to date with my travels around the world in my quest to become the best athlete that I can be.

Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Women on Wheels

I was fortunate during the Nationals to get to spend a bit of time with 2004 Olympic Road Race Champion Sara Carrigan. I had only ever met Sara once before and I remember being in awe of such an amazing athlete and I was the same sitting down with her.

Sara was such a joy to talk to and I have had a lot of positive comments from our interview but I have to say I think the interviewer always makes the difference between a good and a great piece.
Sara made me feel really comfortable and I could definitely connect with her and not only that but was really inspired by the project and delighted to be a part of something that encourages and promotes women in cycling.

Women are really under represented in Cycling, from a media point of view. Mens cycling always takes the limelight and whilst I could have an ongoing argument with men about how they are better than women etc etc, it doesn't mean that women don't work as hard as men, and to me thats what it comes down to. Sure women are not as fast or as strong as men but the best female in the world, to me, is as amazing as the best male in the world.

I have seen many women in my time who work much harder than some males and I have such respect and admiration for those females. Women must remember that when it comes to being successful in a male dominated sport that we must come together and stand for what we believe in and what we do. I think womens cycling on the track in particular is becoming really great to watch and I feel like people like Sara and Kate Bates (who commented for SBS during the nationals) are great role models for females in our sport and I commend them for their work and what they are trying to achieve.

Onwards and upwards for females! :)

Please follow this link to watch my interview with Sara Carrigan courtesy of Cycling Central on SBS:

No comments:

Post a Comment