About Me

Hi my name is Kaarle McCulloch and I am a track cyclist. I have started this blog so that family and friends can keep up to date with my travels around the world in my quest to become the best athlete that I can be.

Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Australian Championships Days Two and Three

The sprint as usual was spread over two days for this meet and Day two was the Sprint Qualification and 1/4 finals. In the QF I rode a solid time of 11.219, I really wasn't expecting to ride that fast so I was pleasantly surprised and I slipped into second place behind Anna who ride 11.176.

In the 1/4 finals I met Riki Belder from South Australia who beat Cass and I the previous night in the Team Sprint, so I was for sure not taking her lightly. Riki rode two quite sound tactical races but I was able to overcome her in two races to progress through to the semi finals against new up and comer Ziggy Callan from Victoria.

Ziggy has just transferred over from BMX and she rode an 11.6 in her first sprint QF so she definitely has a lot of talent and is one to watch in the future. I defeated Ziggy in two straight races to set myself up for a chance at grabbing the gold medal against Anna.

Anna always seems to bring the best out of me as I desperately want to beat her and she wants to remain unbeaten! Its always a fantastic match up and a rivalry that is really so great for me and my development. Anna beat me in two straight races and whilst I was happy with my races tactically I was a little disappointed that the races weren't a bit closer. Anna rode really well and she is in great shape leading into the pointy end of this season and she is definitely (if not already!) a force to be reckoned with.

So the sprint was over and one more day to go, the heat was starting to pass and a cool change was heading in for the last day - and welcomed with much appreciation!

No comments:

Post a Comment