About Me

Hi my name is Kaarle McCulloch and I am a track cyclist. I have started this blog so that family and friends can keep up to date with my travels around the world in my quest to become the best athlete that I can be.

Saturday, January 1, 2011

Melbourne World Cup - Sprint

Oddly for me today began with qualifying and both Anna and I were seeded a lot lower than what we normally would be at a World Cup in 7th and 8th off respectively! I rode a brilliant time of 11.309 (my fastest time at this stage of the year in my career to date) and I was pleasantly surprised and very pleased as I was a little concerned where I was at after the Oceania Championships the previous week. Anna then came out as the next rider however and absolutely blitzed me and the rest of the field in an amazing time of 10.985. This is a huge benchmark for Anna and I was very happy for her as a friend and team mate, it has been a long time coming for her and I hope that I can soon follow in her footsteps in that respect.

Me winding up for the Sprint Qualifying - 11.309

However the day didn’t go as well as I had hoped for, I eventually finished in 8th place in the qualifying meaning that my first round would be with the 9th rider – the closest match up in the seeding. I stuffed up my ride, a combination of nerves coupled with a mistake and I my World Cup sprint quest was over. I was devastated, last year I finished 4th and to be knocked out in the first round was awful. I was beaten by Bela-Russian Olga Panarina. I managed to remain fairly optimistic as I went into the B-finals and I needed to use the opportunity to get some more experience at this level and make up for my poor mistake in the first round.

In the first B-Final match up I met Emily Rosemond and managed to execute my plan perfectly – which I needed to do against Olga (typical!). I defeated Emily and progressed onto the B semi Final. In the Semi final I met a great rival of mine in Willy Kanis from the Netherlands. Again I made a stupid mistake and was punished again and lost easily to Willy. Again to make up for my poor mistake I met Clara Sanchez in the B – final for 11th and 12th position. I beat Clara executing a better race plan to take 11th place. It was a real wake up for me to realise that I not only have a lot of work to do in this area but that the competition for the Olympics is already hotting up!

Anna went on to the the Sprint, defeating Olympic Champion Victoria Pendleton – quite convincingly to I may add. Again a great achievement for Anna and much deserved.

Despite being dispapointed that I didn't get to ride the finals in the evening I was able to sit in the stands with my mum Karen, Grandma Sheila and my manager Andrew and his son. This was my managers first experience at a track event and I think he loved it - luckily! Tomorrow is the Keirin and I am looking forward to seeing what I can do!

No comments:

Post a Comment