About Me

Hi my name is Kaarle McCulloch and I am a track cyclist. I have started this blog so that family and friends can keep up to date with my travels around the world in my quest to become the best athlete that I can be.

Saturday, January 1, 2011

Melbourne World Cup - Team Sprint

Day one of the Melbourne World Cup kicked off for me with the Team Sprint. Looking forward to riding first wheel for the first time in two years and wearing the rainbow jersey, I was very excited. Unfortunately I wasn’t able to ride with Anna as we were riding with different teams but I teamed up with fellow Aussie Emily Rosemond to represent our new team Jayco AIS.

I rode a great first lap time of 19.2, only 2tenths off the pace of the better starters there, which I was happy with considering I am not a starter. Unfortunately though Emily and I finished up in 6th position in qualifying meaning I missed out on my first ever team sprint final. Whilst it was a bit disappointing not to ride the final in front of the home crowd it was a great opportunity for Emily and I.

Me with my coach Gary West in the new Team Jayco AIS colours


The formidable Chinese team took out the win in an outstanding time - they are shaping up to be our biggest rivals!

The focus in the lead in to the World Cup on the first wheel training has helped me irrevocably as a lot of my training for it was on gears I wouldn’t usually use to allow Emily an easier run onto my wheel and to help me to deliver her at a higher speed, the training will help me to get onto Anna's wheel with some degree of comfort (its not that easy getting on an 18.6 wheel!) and sequentially help me to maintain a higher speed for longer in the last lap. I am looking forward to seeing what I can do in the next few months with this training under my belt.

Tomorrow is the Sprint and with my good form in the Team Sprint it will be interesting to see what I can in the qualifying - wish me luck!


No comments:

Post a Comment