About Me

Hi my name is Kaarle McCulloch and I am a track cyclist. I have started this blog so that family and friends can keep up to date with my travels around the world in my quest to become the best athlete that I can be.

Monday, July 12, 2010

Adelaide GP preview

Hi all,

This week the team and I are preparing for one last racing hit out before the Commonwealth Games. Today I am sitting at home not feeling 100% so I have been given the day off in order to try and be in the best shape possible come the weekend.

Its tough for me to sit at home not doing anything, when I know I could probably train. I also know that if I did train I would almost certainly get sick. As a sprinter we train at above threshold for the majority of sessions and you cant be unwell otherwise you cant ride well and get the adaptation required. This is something that has taken me awhile to be OK with as my old idea of training was you should flog yourself all the time, but as a sprinter you just can not do that.

This week has been and will be quite exciting for me as I have visitors down for a week. Over the weekend I had my good family friend Brie Dutton down and she came and experienced the life of a sprinter...I think I may have scarred her a bit as she joined in on one of our sessions and she was very very sore even before we had cooled down - this is a normality for me. If I don't walk away feeling smashed I haven't done my job right! My dad and my brother arrived as Brie left and my brother stays for a week whilst my dad drove my old car back to Sydney to sell (thanks Dad!). My brother, Jack, recently took up cycling and he is going to be a force to be reckoned with in a few years time when he gets some miles under his legs. My brother is what I call and 'enduro' - or in other words he rides on the dark side! ha-ha!

My mum and my littlest sister come down on Friday and stay over the weekend to watch me race and then I probably wont see any of them until after the Commonwealth Games - and that is one of the many sacrifices I have had to make to be the best I can at what I do.

As most of you may know the Tour De France has begun and Aussie rider Cadel Evans is in Yellow! Go Cadel! It would be great to see him win and be the first Aussie to win the prestigious event - especially as the current World Champ!

I shall update everyone after the weekends racing here in Adelaide.

Take care everyone : )

Karls

No comments:

Post a Comment