About Me

Hi my name is Kaarle McCulloch and I am a track cyclist. I have started this blog so that family and friends can keep up to date with my travels around the world in my quest to become the best athlete that I can be.

Sunday, December 18, 2011

AIS Awards and Cycling Australia Awards

Anna and I were very honoured this year to win the AIS team athletes of the year award.  I was very humbled to receive this award considering the depth of the teams and success that other teams from across all Australian AIS sports.  I didn't understand the enormity of this nomination, let alone receiving the award until I got to Canberra and saw the calibre of athletes in the room.

I brought my dad along with me and he was pretty proud of me and looked very nice in his newly bought suit!  Anna's parents also came along and it was one of the first times both our families have been able to meet in circumstances other than at a race and celebrate what we have achieved.

My first attempt as the 'A-Mac' team spokesperson!
Its a bit blurry, Anna and I with my father Grahame.
L-R Anna's mother Marilyn, Anna, Anna's father Tony and me. 
Anna and I with our coach Gary West.

Anna took out the major award and was also inducted into the hall of fame - which was amazing for her!  She should be so proud of what she has done in 2011 and really since she has started riding.  Because she knew she was up for a few awards she got me to speak when we received our award.  Which I wasn't very happy about and now because she says I did a good job I am now team spokesperson!  Thanks Anna!  But seriously I was very proud to speak on behalf of Anna and look forward to hopefully having to do it many more times in the future!  

This is my backstage interview after winning the Team Athlete of the year award with Anna.

Talk about doubling up...the following night was the Cycling Australia Awards.  It felt very strange to be getting dressed up two nights in a row!  I felt very feminine for a change!  This time I brought my mum, Karen, and stepfather Ken along with me and whilst I didn't receive an award at this event, I was grateful to be able to present a category.  I got to meet Daniel Macpherson who was hosting the event and catch up with people I haven't seen for a long time as well as speak to many people who share the same passion as I do with cycling.  Anna again took out a major award as well as Female track athlete of the year - both highly deserved.  I was nominated once more this award, and one year I hope to win it!

I got to spend the rest of the weekend at home where I went and watched my brother Jack at some of the NSW state titles.  He won the Team Sprint with our club St George and he came 4th in the pursuit!  I am very proud of him!  I also got to present some awards and its always nice to go and support and watch these events as it brings back some fond memories of when I first started.



Me with fellow St George CC teammates Brie Dutton and Imogen Hines who won the NSW State Team Sprint Championships (Stars of the future?!  I think so!) 
Me presenting my brother his medal (I also gave him a big kiss on the cheek to embarrass him!) 
Me with the NSW Team Sprint Champions, St George CC riders Jacob Abramovic, Jack (my brother) and Nathan Bradshaw.

No comments:

Post a Comment